Dienstag, 1. September 2009

Grashüpfer

My fourth soap is called Grashüpfer (grasshopper). It consists of nearly two thirds of olive oil, but I also used coconut oil, castor oil, avocado oil, walnut oil and I tried some drops of silk protein for the first time. The green part is dyed with green pigment, the light green part is the original soap base, lightened up with titanium dioxide. I wanted the soap to smell green, too, so I had chosen Brambleberry fragrance oils "Lettuce" and "White Tea & Ginger" as well as some Lemongrass essential oil.

I had poured the superfatting oil into a small plastic cup. In went the fragrance oils and the essential oil as well. What I didn't know at that point was that the plastic cups we had were a leftover from some picnic and were rather old and brittle. The cup quietly started to leak scented oil onto the shelf where I had put it while getting all the other stuff ready. When I noticed, I couldn't even replace the leaked avocado oil because I had used it all, so I had to substitute it with a generous helping of walnut oil (that's why I can't tell the exact percentage of superfatting oils in this soap, but it is a very mild soap). The shelf smelled of grass for a looong time, and quite intensely, too.

At first, I was a little unhappy with this soap. I didn't like the way the colours had turned out because I had hoped for a more pronounced contrast. I had expected a green-and-white soap instead of the two shades of green I got. I had intended a more pronounced swirl as well. But, as sometimes happens, I liked this soap better every time I looked at it and when I first tried it, it made a really wonderful lather with small creamy bubbles and it is one of my favourite soaps now :). I am still not too keen on the scent because I generally prefer floral and fruity scents and the grassy smell still reminds me of all the scrubbing necessary to clean the shelf. But sometimes a clean, pure scent like Grashüpfer's is exactly what's needed.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen