Sonntag, 30. August 2009

Sweetie Pie

My third soap was supposed to smell like and have the colour of strawberry milkshake. I used basic oils as well as some cocoa butter and walnut oil. I had planned to dye part of the soap base white and add the strawberry fragrance oil to this part. The other half I dyed red and added vanilla fragrance oil (This combination of colour/fragrance might seem a bit odd, but then I had heard that most vanilla fragrances make beige or even brown soap, so I thought red might be the better choice for the vanilla-smelling part).

I had lots of trouble with this soap: first, the strawberry fragrance made the soap warm up so much that it started to clot - it looked like semolina pudding. It probably is a fragrance better suited for hot processed soap. I had already poured the red part into the block mould, but I didn't want to put the clotted mess on top of it, so I put the white part back into the pot, let it gel in the oven and then added it to the red soap in the mould. When I tested the soap later on, I noticed that I had taken a little too much of the Acid Red pigment which now makes nice pink lather and "bleeds" little pink rivulets when you put it back onto the sink. However, it
looks nice when it's dry, especially after I stamped it with gold mica.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen